by Amber White
ChiroHealthUSA Social Media Specialist
Ever wonder why good posture is promoted so heavily by healthcare professionals? Correct posture plays a significant role in balance. When you stand upright, your weight should be centered over your feet. When you stand up straight, the alignment of all your body parts is supported by the right amount of muscle tension against gravity. This alignment helps you maintain proper form when exercising, walking up and down stairs, lifting packages, etc., resulting in fewer injuries.
Chiropractors specialize in ensuring you have proper posture which leads to better overall health. Chiropractic helps assist the body, not only through manual manipulations, but with recommendations on how to maintain correct posture during physical activities and exercises by strengthening core postural muscles. These recommendations help reduce the risk of injury and correct bad habits that have worsened over the years.
There are steps you can take to improve your own posture.
• Eliminate hunching over for long periods.
• Stand with your back straight and your weight evenly distributed over your feet.
• Sit with your back straight with your knees and hips level to the floor.
• Keep your arms at your sides with your elbows even.
• Brace your abdominal muscles.
• Wear flat, well-fitting shoes.
• Evenly distribute the weight of heavy bags.
• Spend less time sitting.
Here are the reasons to pay more attention to maintaining good posture.
• Reduces lower back pain
• Reduces tension in neck and shoulders
• Improves breathing
• Improves digestion and blood flow
• Strengthens your core
• Increases energy levels
• Increases self-confidence
With a little practice, you’ll be standing and sitting tall in no time. Do you need additional help in achieving a neutral spine? Ask for assistance from your local chiropractor today.